The Bottom Line
- Solid construction is made to last.
- Great cross-training tool for snowboarding.
- Small and portable.
- Handmade in Vermont.
- Tapered rock is not suitable for beginners.
- Hourglass shaped deck may be too small for riders with large feet.
- Can be dangerous if used incorrectly.
- Hourglass shaped deck with upturned nose and shovel.
- Indy balance board rock sports tapered ends and a wider groove to allow for maneuverability and flip tricks.
- Both the deck and the rock are constructed of durable hardwood.
Guide Review - Vew-Do Indy Balance Board
As a snowboarder, my Vew-Do Indy Balance Board is without a doubt the most valuable fitness and training tool I own. Like many others, I was originally introduced to a balance board by a physical therapist charged with rehabbing my broken ankle. Any athlete that has suffered a lower leg injury should seriously consider adding a balance board to their gear locker.
Handmade in Vermont, the Indy, with its tapered nose and shovel, resembles a skateboard without the wheels. In place of wheels is the "rock," an elongated roller with a groove cut in the middle. Underneath the deck is a hard plastic track that fits into the rock's groove. Vew-Do offers several different rocks, with each aimed at a different ability level. The Indy comes with their tapered rock, which allows the rider to "carve" the board in a similar manner as one would carve a snowboard. It also has a wider groove to allow for ollies and other flip tricks. Alternative rocks include the beginner model, which has outriggers to aid less experienced riders, and the plyometric training rock.
According to Vew-Do, the Indy is the choice for their pro riders. Snowboarders looking for an off-season training tool will likely gravitate to this model as well, thanks to the tapered rock. After riding this board most of last summer (often while standing around watching TV at night), I immediately noticed improvements in my balance, reflexes, and overall quickness when the snow fell. The board and rock are durable, yet lightweight and easily transported.