The Bottom Line
- Lightweight frame.
- Small frame fits small faces well.
- Lenses provide excellent clarity and protection.
- Lenses not suited for extremely bright conditions.
- A squarish frame and chunky features goes well with the surfer/snowboarder style many people are wearing today.
- Lightweight plastic frame with subtle accents and branding allows the wearer to shine without looking like a billboard.
- High quality Oakley lenses provide the performance the company built its reputation upon.
Guide Review - Oakley Gascan Small Review
My GASCAN Small arrived wrapped in its very own bag for cleaning and storage - a nice touch for those who like to keep their lenses clean and free from scratches. The polished white frame and grey lens make for a stylish combination (in my opinion, of course) with a squarish appearance. Having a small face, I opted for the Small version of the GASCAN, but Oakley also offers a regular sized version known simply as the GASCAN.
Regardless of how any pair of sunglasses looks, the fit has to be right or all is lost. The GASCAN Small steps up to the plate in a big way, resting comfortably on the ears and bridge of the nose. The frame is lightweight, so even after several hours of continuous wear, the frame remains nearly unnoticeable on the face. Those with small faces will be happy to know the GASCAN Small really is design for small faces - the frame fit my face very well, without any gaps or pinching to be found.
Next to fit, lenses are the most important component of any pair of sunglasses or goggles. Once again, Oakley comes through and meets expectations. The GASCAN Small lens, grey in color, is dark enough to handle all but the brightest of conditions. According to the Oakley website, the grey lens transmits 18% of visible light, and is best for medium to bright light. The only application I would be hesitant to use this lens in would be extremely bright conditions with large amounts of glare, such as out on the water or in direct sunlight on snow. Fortunately, Oakley also offers the GASCAN and GASCAN Small with polarized lenses, which negate the effects of glare.